Monday, August 27, 2007

Day Two and Three

The drama over our living situation reached its peak yesterday when our host here offered us the use of his car and made it known to us that he will gladly take our kids to and bring them back from school every day. Jason felt compassion for the guy (Sergio…owner and builder of this beautiful house) and wasn’t sure we should reject his generosity, but still so many issues about this neighborhood and this house didn’t sit right with me. For one thing, the house is barely furnished, another issue…broad windows, without coverings expose us to any interested parties. The idea of trying to do window coverings and buying a bunch of furniture seems so taxing to me. I have no interest in spending my time and energy this way. Also, our distance from the school and the center of beauty and activity of Oaxaca filled me with grief. I’m not sure I want to live in an industrial/slum neighborhood for 5 months…no matter how beautiful the house. I finally convinced Jason on these issues last night. I think he agrees with me deep in his heart, but has a difficult time with the idea that we might offend anyone here.
Fortunately, a conversation with Pilar and Saul this morning set everything straight. Sergio built this house for his mother, who died before moving in. The house was offered to Pilar and Saul since they do more and more work around Oaxaca these days and need a dwelling while they are here. They have taken the house temporarily, but also rented another house nearer to their work. They too want to be closer to the center. If we move out, they will give up the house. Their loyalty to Sergio has a limit as well. It was good for me and Jason to realize that our priorities to live closer to the school and the centro are not so unusual. We are not selfish gringos…we’re a couple trying to make the best decision for our family. This choice will disappoint Sergio, but I think for Jason…better Sergio disappointed, than his wife unhappy for the next 5 months. I knew this dynamic would be tough. It has proven to be about what I expected.
Today, a new property is on the horizon. At 10 AM this morning, we looked at a large house (4 plus bedrooms, two full baths) in the colonia (neighborhood) that lies between the school and the centro. Feeling a little desperate last night, I had prayed that it would be the perfect house. It felt that way. We all saw the place and loved it. Abby and Gabe will have their own bedrooms. We have sheets and beds, plenty of furniture, though a few things we might replace…Best detail, it has a high, flat roof with a view of the city and the surrounding mountains…lots of space for a table, chairs, a place where we can enjoy the cool at the end of the day, an evening card game, a chat, or a glass of wine, or Mescal (the Oaxacan equivalent of tequila). I’m pretty sure Jason will have his morning tea and prayer times up there. Also…plenty of room for visitors. We could comfortably sleep 4 more people! So come on down! Barring some kind of emergency, we’ll begin moving in tomorrow. We might even finish moving in, though we need to make sure all is in order with the finances and utilities.
The school will be about a ten minute walk from our house and the llano, a park/square near the center (not the Zocalo itself…but the outskirts of the colonial/historic neighborhood) will be a ten minute walk in the other direction. If you remember your Spanish colonial architecture, city is designed around the main cathedral with a plaza area, then goes out in concentric circles of government buildings, businesses and restaurants/hotels, so a place like the llano is linked to the centro and in the case of Oaxaca…it is linked by a pedestrian only street…so walking is a pleasure, once you reach the llano. We ate at a wonderful taqueria on the llano last night…good Oaxacan style tacos and I enjoyed a margarita…first alcohol since arriving on Sunday.
I’ll try to explain more about the house, with photos in future postings. Also…I know these postings I am writing are going to be bunched up when we figure out our email/high speed internet. All this info will come tumbling onto my blog at once. Sorry. I’m such a blogging novice…All of are still healthy. We haven’t seen any signs of stomach disturbance, aside from the usual travel/adjusting to different foods kind of stomach issues…I won’t go into details, but I’m sure you can imagine.

No comments: