Thursday, June 28, 2007

Saying Goodbye to Barnabas


One objective in the drive up to Washington is leaving our beloved dog, Barnabas. with my parents. He will not travel with us to Oaxaca City, but will remain in Washington until we fetch him sometime in the Winter. The dog senses transition whenever he sees us packing. And sure enough, when I was packing my bag and getting ready to return to Berkeley, but without Barnabas, he came into the room and laid on my feet. Literally, he plunked down on them while I was folding clothing and setting them into my bag, as if to protest. His whole life revolves around the pack...our family...and one by one, we are abandoning him. Of course, he's a dog, but we will miss him and hope he will (since he is a bit elderly) greet us in February without bitterness and resentment. We love you Barnabas. You've been a faithful companion and a wonderful encouragement to all of us.

No comments: