Monday, December 10, 2007

Art

Misael Mendez is a contemporary artist in Oaxaca. I love his work and if I had a couple of thousand dollars at my disposal, I'd come home with two of his paintings, at least.

Misael is also the novio of Abby's art teacher, Rosalba Gonzalez. They live and work in the same space. Today, when Abigail was at her art class, Misael passed through the room and saw a monotype that she had created. It's quite abstract, but right away he nailed the image...exactly what Abby had intended.


He said(in Spanish, of course), "That is a dog on a boat in the ocean and the dog is happy. I like that very much."
Is that what you see? If I hadn't told you what it is, would you guess and dog on a boat in the ocean...Go Dog Go!

So what is it with these artist types? What makes them think the way they do? I am reminded of the book, the Little Prince. I remember how the boy draws a picture of a snake after is has swallowed an elephant whole, but most everyone who looks at the drawing cannot see the true image. And actually, it does sort of look like a hat.



2 comments:

Mark said...

Wasn't _Go Dog, Go_ a book that Gabe enjoyed as a kid? I have this mental picture of a dog in a car. If that's not it, maybe it's just some sort of hallucination!

I suspect that missionaries all develop a coterie of lovely parasitic friends. All I know is that my times in Bolivia, Mexico, and China have left me with a stronger stomach than some of my stateside friends. Go figure!

Susi said...

Yes, good memory, Mark...I mentioned Go Dog Go because there is a page in that book where two or three dogs are sitting in a boat on the water.

As for stronger stomachs. I agree. We have them...after undergoing the tough intestinal training of 5 Yucatan Projects, one stint in Manila, one in Bulgaria and now here. I'd like to think my stomach can handle anything, but there's nothing like a bout of intestinal sickness to reinstate that humility.