Monday, January 28, 2008

Avila

by Sharon

Onward. We are enjoying our time in Avila immensely. A nice and historic city. We are staying at a pension that is attached to the church, Santo Tomas, an old and beautiful church. I feel that God is blessing this part of our trip with lots of little mercies. Our flight to Madrid went without a hitch. We happened to get onto the express train to Avila right after we landed and a jaunt on the metro. I got money with seemingly no service charge on this end. We got to our pension on foot not knowing the directions to our place and with no workable map. We got in and basically ran a good distance to catch some time on the wall surrounding the old town of Avila which we loved. A lot of history and the best preserved defensive wall in all of Europe. Today also happens to be the feast day of St. Thomas, the patron saint of this parish. So, there will be a special mass and celebration. What a treat! This place is very inexpensive, I think 38 Euros for room and board. The food is OK so far we'll see today. There are some student teachers here, Chinese young people, and a smattering of others. Probably a third full. We eat on these long tables spanning the length of the dining hall. I look forward to sight-seeing and retreating today.

3 comments:

marguerite said...

hi sharon -- yesterday at mass i thought about you and susi in avila and it inspired me -- i'm in the midst of a 4-day "busy person's retreat" at newman -- we meet daily for 45 min. with a spiritual director (i'm doing mine at 7 pm) -- it's wonderfully refreshing -- glad you all have been given such travel mercies and blessings along the way.

sharonhi said...

Hi Marguerite,

Glad you are doing the busy person's retreat (you qualify!) and that it is working for you. You have to let me know more about it when I get back. Susi and I had a nice time of sightseeing in the morning and retreat and prayer for the rest of our time in Avila. It was great to have extended time to be still and pray before heading into Madrid which has I can already tell is a hopping city.

Susi said...

Hopping yes! And the weather continues to be stellar. I hear we are missing a lot of wet in the bay area. I can't say that I'm missing it.