Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Teresa of Jesus

We’re in Madrid now, but I need to write about our second day in Ávila.

We visited the convent that is built about a century after Teresa died, on the site of the house where she grew up and also spent time in the cathedral that honors her. The visit was worthwhile and spiritually inspirational. Teresa was an incredible soul with a passion for loving God, maybe unparalleled in her century. While at the convent, we saw various relics…including Teresa’s finger with an emerald ring on it (gross)…and bone fragments from St. John of the Cross (less gross). Despite my initial gut reaction, I did a bit of research on the finger, since looking at the decaying body part of someone famous/spiritual left me wondering...Why? I would have taken a photo of the finger, but you’re not allowed to snap one of that relic.


As a Protestant, I was trying to have an open mind as I researched…finding out that Teresa’s body after being buried did not rot like most bodies…legend or truth…not sure? Her devotees found that her gravesite was giving off a beautiful rose odor, even months after her death, so her body was exhumed and was discovered to not have decayed. Three doctors studied her corpse and indicated this truth (says the website).



I immediately thought of the Exodus story and how when it was time for Moses to die, God had him wander off and allowed no one to find his body, perhaps because his followers would have been tempted to take the body and try to extend his influence.


It truly is amazing the influence Teresa had within the church, esp. here in Spain and she was well loved by those in her convents. Was it too difficult for them to let her go? Teresa's life spanned a time in Catholic Spain that was difficult and violent (The Inquisition). Maybe her followers needed the body, the finger as a reminder of the vision that Teresa imparted to them.


But, I suppose, I fall into the Moses camp, thinking, it’s better to leave the body in the earth…remember the life, respect the memory by living out that person’s vision. This is how true influence is extended. Is that very Protestant of me? I suppose it is.

In addition to the Teresa sites, we saw a couple of beautiful cathedrals, one is the oldest gothic cathedral in Spain. The architecture takes your breath away…it is so enormous and beautifully designed. We saw an El Greco in that cathedral and illuminated manuscripts, among other various sculptures and paintings and even antique priests’ robes. Avila is a charming town and Sharon and I loved it.

Aside from this prayer retreat, we have realized that our trip is evolving into mostly an art trip. We pretty much sacrifice all for the art…going without food, sleep, drink and I even held my pee until I was near to bursting yesterday because there was no baño in the cathedral and I didn’t want to leave without seeing all. So, I begin to see the metaphor. Sacrifices must be made for art. In reality, I should be living that every day. At least…I am in Spain.

No comments: