Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Barcelona



The blog continues, and yes, I’m writing from Spain…How my current trip to Spain came about is a long story, but to make it short…it’s a 40th birthday gift from many friends and family. I’m on this amazing journey with my friend Sharon Henthorn-Iwane. We’re in Barcelona for 5 nights, Ávila for a two night prayer retreat and 5 nights in Madrid.


The timing of this probably seems crazy to many of you and it certainly does to me as well. Jason is at home, moving our family back into the house, but he wanted me to take the trip while he was still on sabbatical. He returns to work in mid February, so this was my chance.


Sharon and I arrived Tuesday afternoon, the 22nd. We were jet lagged and sore from squeezing our bodies in economy seats for 12 hours, but enjoyed a full moon over the city as we took public transportation from the airport to our hotel. We slept until 8:30, after being up for ½ the night, of course.
Montjuϊc
Following breakfast, we put on our running shoes and set out. We took the metro (similar to BART) toward the Espanya Fountain…(Espanya…I think is how you spell Spain in Catalán, the language of Catalonians, still spoken fiercely by the locals). From there, we walked all over Montjuϊc…a hill-like golden gate park area…lots of museums, gardens, fountains and scenic views. We were soaking it in and thankful for the beautiful weather.


One of the highlights of our day was visiting the museum of Joan Miró, a 20th century Catalonian artist. Sharon who is an artist/painter said it was one of the most inspiring art museums she has been in. It contains most of Miró’s work, so you can really track how he developed over time. We also stumbled upon a fantastic Italian restaurant. Initially, we thought the food might be local, but we were wrong, and happily so. We shared a fresh mozzarella salad, with a tomato on it…the best heirloom tomato I’ve eaten since summer, and also shared Osso Bucco in rustic peppery gravy, a huge hunk of meat with potatoes. The food was really incredible and the cappuccino afterward, in true Italian style, the best I’ve tasted in months. See photo of me smiling and with my Illy cup. A great day.


We walked home. Lots of people were out though it was dark. The people remind me of the Oaxacans in their easy demeanor and relational/communal lifestyles, but the city is very European. Tomorrow, it’s the Picasso museum.

No comments: